Venv wheel package install (and sdist install w/o wheel)?

Can venv (be upgraded to) by default install the wheel package into a newly created venv? This would elegantly resolve an issue with installing an sdist into a venv on machines disconnected from internet (from PyPI).

The problem(s): I distribute a Python installer (e.g. miniconda .sh file) and my authored package as sdist to end-users who must install onto a disconnected machine (i.e. sneakernet and DVD). Upon installing sdist (/venv_path/python3 -m pip install --no-dependencies my_sdist.tar.gz), I get error: false requirements already satisfied. This is due to pip recently insisting upon building/installing a wheel from the sdist, and the wheel package is absent from the venv.

A workaround: First do: /venv_path/python3 -m pip install --upgrade wheel --no-index --find-links local_path_to/wheel-0.36.2.tar.gz, i.e. I provide the wheel package locally (with my distribution to end-user). The --no-index and --find-links are necessary since , since pip otherwise attempts reaching out over internet to PyPI for the wheel package.

Question(s):

1. Is this the most elegant workaround short of my suggested venv upgrade?

2. Just how did pip solve the chicken/egg problem with installing the wheel package into the venv, since it evidently first wants to build a wheel from the wheel package sdist??? My logfile says: Using legacy 'setup.py install' for wheel, since package 'wheel' is not installed. Why doesn’t it behave this way for my end-user sdist install???

1. Probably, if it’s necessary for you to distribute your package as a sdist rather than a built wheel.
  2. Pip doesn’t need to install wheel from its sdist, because there’s a wheel of the wheel package available. So we just use that (which can be installed via a simple unzip). I don’t know why you’re providing the wheel package as a sdist rather than a wheel, by the way - you might want to switch to providing the .whl.

IIRC, the answer was no the the last time this was brought up, because we want people to switch to PEP 517 instead. This is as easy as adding a new pyproject.toml file with a couple of configurations to your my_sdist.tar.gz unless it’s a crazy complex package like numpy (in which case you really should distribute a wheel instead).

Thanks, Paul!

Just to understand your point #2a. Where/how is the ‘wheel of the wheel package’ available to pip, if machine is disconnected? Is it in the ‘mother’ Python installation from which venv draws?

Point #2b. I’m providing wheel sdist, not having thought of your option of .whl. But I’m supporting multiplatform (MSWindows too) so sdist does seem a bit more generic. What are reasons to prefer the .whl?

Thanks again.

Thanks, Tzu-ping.

Thankfully my package is pure-Python. From determining my workaround, I came upon the PEP 517/518 ferment (I’m used to the pre-517/518 setup.py approach to packaging, which was the guidance at https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/ a year ago). If I update my procedures as you suggest, I have 2 questions:

1. For machines disconnected from internet, what if anything do I need to do after creating my venv (using venv, I presume the recommended method) to insure my project builds/installs into venv?

2. I presume to get the PEP 517 build/install behavior from pip, I need to be providing end-users a sufficiently new Python distribution. What minimal Python/pip versions are necessary?

Thanks!

Wait, in the disconnected case pip didn’t solve the chicken/egg problem, what made you think it did?

No, if it’s a universal wheel (i.e., it doesn’t contain compiled binaries) the wheel is more generic than the sdist, because you don’t need anything to install a wheel (pip can do it without any additional tools) whereas you need a build backend to install a sdist.

In which case you should just build a wheel and ship that. Your users won’t need anything other than your wheel and pip to do the install.

Nice advice on points 2 and 3, thanks!!

Re: chix/egg - right, I’m mystified - why didn’t it attempt to build a wheel out of the .gz (and promptly fail, of course), yet pip did process the .gz and install wheel. Any ideas to what actually happened? Actually, I guess it took the ‘legacy path’ as you describe here: Raise a warning when pip falls back to the “legacy” direct install code #8102. The #8102 thread timeframe is same/later than my Python/pip distro age, so my observed behavior reflects state of pip back then.

Thanks again.

Not really, because you didn’t give enough detail, TBH. I didn’t even realise you were talking about your install in the disconnected environment at first. I assume it’s not that relevant, though, now that we’ve established that you should be providing wheels, not sdists.