I want to propose promoting Batuhan Taşkaya as a core developer.
- Promote Batuhan Taşkaya
- Don’t promote Batuhan Taşkayar
I have been mentoring Batuhan since past November and I gave him triage privileges at the end of January. Since this time, Batuhan has more than 100 commits merged to the master branch of CPython and he has learned a lot about our processes, workflows and values. He also knows the value of preserving maintainability and backwards compatibility and how important that is for us. Batuhan is a smart, enthusiastic and proactive person that tries to help in everything he can. He is very easy to work with and he has proven that he can listen to feedback and act on it very diligently. He is also kind to contributors and has learned how to iterate with them to produce the best results for CPython and for the contributor’s experience.
Batuhan’s contributions are both in Python and C and although many of them are centred around the AST modules and related functionality (as this is the area where Batuhan is most excited about) he has contributed to several parts of the CPython VM and standard library.
Here are some selected links and sections to get an idea of Batuhan skills and accomplishments:
- Merged PRs: Search · is:pr is:merged author:isidentical archived:false org:python · GitHub
- Reviewed PRs: Search · reviewed-by:isidentical -author:isidentical archived:false org:python · GitHub
- Involvement in issues: Search · involves:isidentical archived:false org:python · GitHub
Major accomplishments in CPython
- Co-authored exposing
- Enhancements / and general maintenance of the AST module, and related tooling (ASDL generator, ast_unparse.c, …).
- Implementation of the required changes to make
from __future__ import annotationsthe default on 3.10 (https://bugs.python.org/issue38605).
- Testing CPython on different platformsand and locating/fixing bugs fo best-effort systems. He maintains the “isidentical-centos-power8” worker on our buildbot fleet.
General maintenance tasks
- Active on the bug tracker; comments / follows AST related issues. Triages issues on several different fields.
- Perform reviews on AST, tokenize, lib2to3 related PRs. (GH-12382, GH-19612, GH-16994, …)
- Keeps track of Python’s build on different architectures/operating systems/compilers
and sends patches for supported systems (GCC compile farm user).
Selected bpo issues
I talked to Batuhan about this potential new role and its responsibilities, and he is excited to become a member of the core dev team. I am confident of Batuhan’ skills and attitude and his dedication to improving Python and I am sure that he will be a productive member of the team for years to come.
As it was done in previous promotions I will continue to mentor him for one month after his promotion (if it’s accepted) to help him to deal with his new responsibilities, and I plan to require him to ask me before merging anything until he will be used to the process.
As a reminder from PEP 13 regarding voting rules:
It is granted by receiving at least two-thirds positive votes in a core team vote that is open for one week and with no veto by the steering council.