Want to learn Algorithms

Hey all,
it is my first topic ever here, and i would express how i am really happy to be here, i feel it, as i am home :slight_smile:

Sorry if it not the place to place my question about alogs (Algorithms) in but i still don’t know where to write it down.

I really want to find where i could learn Algos (new/old)?
it is really so important to me, as i want to develop my skills,
so is there any place/ book/ anything to find ALL Algos gathered in?
i hope that somebody could help me with it, because i am really searching activitely but with no gain!
thanks in advance!

If something is close to this objective it should be The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth

If you manage to read it all you are entitled to send your resume to Bill Gates who once upon a time has said: "If you think you’re a really good programmer… read Art of Computer Programming … You should definitely send me a résumé if you can read the whole thing.”

4 Likes

I’m curious about what your search did find - there are plenty of books on algorithms. What did you find and what was missing?

Sorry if it not the place to place my question about alogs (Algorithms)
in but i still don’t know where to write it down.

This is fine.

I really want to find where i could learn Algos (new/old)?
it is really so important to me, as i want to develop my skills,
so is there any place/ book/ anything to find ALL Algos gathered in?

You’ll not find something with all algorithms - there are infinitely
many. An algorithm is simply a reliable procedure for producing the
solution to a problem in a finite period of time. There are, of course,
inifinitely many problems, and those with algorithmic solutions can have
more than one algorithm to solve them.

That said, there are many common basic situations you’ll encounter
frequently or routinely, and well known algorithms use in many of these
situations.

Someone’s mentioned Knuth, though he’s hard going. A quick search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=introduction+to+computer+algorithms+in+computer+science&atb=v223-1&ia=web

seems to find some promising looking things.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson cs@cskk.id.au

I was thinking that, there is a kind of comprehensive book, something to record any new published Algorithm, but now, I guess that, I need to it by myself. ( tracking the new published algorithms made )

Thanks for explaining!

What did you find

I have found a lot of suggested books on amazon, which i really don’t know with which should i start :smiley: .
for example:
1- Python Algorithms Mastering Basic Algorithms in the Python Language (Magnus Lie Hetland)
2- INTRODUCTION TO ALGORITHMS (THOMASH. CORMEN, CHARLESE. L EISERSON, RONALD L. RIVEST, CLIFFOR D STEIN)

3- Algorithms to Live By_ The Computer Science of Human Decisions (Brian Christian, Tom Griffiths)

and what was missing?

If you are asking what was missing in those books, so i am afraid that, i can’t answer on this question, beacuse i haven’t read them all yet.

But, if you are asking, what was missing as my point of view? i could say that, i miss a comprehensive book, which is good to start with to learn the algorithms from scratch to an advanced level

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to read it.

The Art of Computer Programming is missing newer developments in the field, and tries to illustrate things using a synthetic assembly language. Although it’s impressive, I wouldn’t really recommend it today.

Khan Academy is awesome for any academic subject. I literally owe my master’s degree to this website.

1 Like

No, there is no one single book that lists every single algorithm, any more than there is one single book that lists every single recipe.

1 Like

Maybe you have something that you could suggest to read?), thanks for replaying.

Thanks a lot! very helpful, i will try to keep up reading and exploring it.

CLRS is particularly heavy on maths and proofs, so that may or may not interest you. It does have the advantage that it covers a lot, though.

Grokking Algorithms is quite a basic intro book. It doesn’t cover as much as CLRS and the maths is a lot lighter, but it’s a place to start