Web development, Machine learning, Data analysis, GUI based desktop programs, Develop games

Hi,

I am new to Python, just started to learn.
I am aware that Python can be used for below tasks.

Web development, Machine learning, Data analysis, GUI based desktop programs, Develop games. However I need your guidance to decide which core area I should focus to learn.

Am a VBA developer and does not have any exposure to Python or any other language in my work. Considering this, which Python area you will suggest me to focus.

For example, data analysis, will it be in line with my VBA skills.
At present am not sure how Python will help me. I want to learn it but not able to understand how I will apply it. And whatever I have read about Python, it seems vast.

Without motive or without any clear target in mind at the moment I am bit confused how Python will help me.

Can anyone please guide me in this.

Welcome to Python!

It’s true. You can do a lot of great things with Python. It can be hard to know where to start.

You have mentioned data analysis as one of your skills. However, this description is broad, so it is still unclear what you want to accomplish by learning Python. How you use Python is based on what you want to do. Only you can decide.

Luckily, Python has a wonderful scientific community that has world-class data analytic tools (e.g. Scipy 1.0 in Nature, Numpy, Pandas + Jupyter). There are many many options.

So I suggest starting with this question: “I want to apply data analysis to [a specific goal]. How do I accomplish this with Python?” Answer this question first, and someone may help you with next steps :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @pylang thanks a lot for the help. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:
One more question I forgot to ask in my original post.
We automate Excel tasks in VBA.
Is it possible to automate Excel, Outlook task with Python.

Even if it is possible, is it feasible to automate Excel tasks through Python.
Can I add more functionality to my Excel automation with integration of VBA and Python.

My apologies for being ignorant.

We all start somewhere. Feel no worries about asking questions.

Now that we see your application, it will be easier to make suggestions. Python is a lovely scripting language. You can certainly use Python to automate MS Office tasks.

There are third-party libraries that can be installed to extend Python’s core features. One such library is open_pyxl, which can be used to automate many things. You can search similar packages from the main package index called PyPI. Ultimately, you discover how well they suit your needs by reading documentation, reading tutorials and trying them out.

1 Like

Hi @pylang , thanks a lot for the help. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile: