Why was slow mode applied to my thread, and my post hidden by the community?

I did not ask for a 12 hour slow mode to be applied to I'm leaving too , nor was I warned or advised of the possibility that such might occur. I can see no reason to stifle the discussion, and this only increases how long it takes for me to complete my promised feedback so that I can go in peace.

Further, while I understand that the hiding of one of my posts in that thread is the result of community flagging and not an explicit moderation action, I would like to petition for guidance. I can see nothing wrong with it and strongly considered immediately restoring it with only a trivial edit, but perhaps someone has a more specific idea.

I was asked to explain why I consider certain terminology (written into an official PSF policy document) offensive, dismissive of my views, and harmful; and why I have found such phrasing to have particular motivations. I responded clearly and in detail, drawing on 17 years of experience, citing my own experiences, fully researched essays written by others, my own prior research, etc.

I did not use profanity or epithets, I took special care not to express anger (but only hurt), and I laid out several of my core beliefs, while speaking plainly. I cannot fathom any way to impute hatred in anything I said. Even where I proposed that something was “morally unacceptable” I was explicit that this was a personal opinion. In short, it is as mild of a critique of feminism, “social justice” etc. as I know how to make. If the entire idea of doing so is off limits then please explicitly write that into the Code of Conduct, in as many words; and please do not say that this is a space for “being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences”. These are not fringe views - considering that identification “as a feminist” varies considerably depending on how the poll question is phrased and who does the polling, and is nowhere near universal, even among women.

3 Likes

I suspect that this is a preemptive action to prevent the thread from going of the rails, which is something that seems reasonable to do based on experience with the other threads in recent days.

However, 12 hours seems very excessive, and I would like to hear a justification for such a high number instead of something like 1 or 2 hours.

Ignore it, as long as moderators don’t double down on this decision. There seems to be a group of silent observers who flag these posts without being justified in any actual rules. The fact that moderators counteract these flags should reduce their voting power, hopefully reducing further occurrences.

5 Likes

Good enough for me, given all information available to me. However, it appears that more than a whitespace edit is required by the system, and this in turn counts against the slow-mode posting limit.

Ditto. I brought it up before, but didn’t get a response (although it was just a “BTW …” point added at the end of an unrelated post).

In the original topic about the then-upcoming vote, an 8-hour speed bump was enough to stop posting entirely in just a few days. So I was astonished to see it boosted to 12 hours on the newer topic. Was the intent to prevent any replies? 12 hours is effectively the same as 24 for people with real lives.

I echo Cornelius’s advice. Whenever my posts got auto-hidden, I ignored it, and the mods eventually resurrected them on their own. Can’t guess whether they’ll resurrect yours, but if it drags on so long as to really annoy you, you can contact a mod directly and ask.

1 Like