How does a suppressed message or edit message look like?

Hi, I read that Discourse provides more tools to moderate discussions. I would like to see the UI for a removed message. Can an admin please remove the following message? The message content will be “This is a message that must be removed.”

By the way, I edited this message to add this sentence, to see how a modified post look like :slight_smile:

Update 2, 36 min later: I will post a second message that must be removed an admin, to see if the UI is differently (than the case when I remove my own message). I will post the message: “Can an admin please remove this message? It’s for a test.”

I edited my first message to add the sentence:

Then I modified my thread title to add “(need admin)”: " How look a suppressed message look like?". Right now, I don’t see any hint that the title and the first post have been modified. Is here an history somewhere?

I edited the title again: “How does a suppressed message or edit message look like?”.

Oh, I even earned a badge because I modified my own post:
https://discuss.python.org/badges/10/editor?username=vstinner

“This badge is granted the first time you edit one of your posts. While you won’t be able to edit your posts forever, editing is encouraged — you can improve the formatting, fix small mistakes, or add anything you missed when you originally posted. Edit to make your posts even better!

Ah, I’m able to remove my own post “This is a message that must be removed.”. Right now, its content is:

“(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)”

Oh, edits many in less than 5 minutes are “not considered formal edits”:

But it would be nice to know what it looks like when a moderator removes / censors it.

I modified my first post that I posted 30 minutes. Ok, in that case, I see the pencil icon and have access to the post history. Good!

This is an example of a moderator message explaining why something was deleted/edited with moderation highlight. Notice that the deleted message appear hidden. Example (notice the “View 1 hidden reply”):

1 Like

Pablo removed my reply “Can an admin please remove this message? It’s for a test.” … and I don’t see any notice / hint that this thread contained a message that has been removed :frowning:

It seems to be a feature reserved to moderators, I don’t see it.

If someone flags the comment the whole moderation is done on a separate (and private) conversation with the moderators. Maybe deleting the message is a bit extreme moderation measure without previous conversation.

More info here:

Looks like it is. I tested while being logged out and the “View 1 hidden reply” message is not there.

On StackOverflow, being able to delete one’s own questions, comments, and answers is very useful. Besides removing noise, it removes the reputation loss from downvotes. I wish more people would do so.

Its ‘view hidden reply’ lines are limited to people with 10000+ reputation (which gives some other moderation privileges). You mostly don’t want to seem them :wink:

1 Like