How to collect votes for proposed new core devs?

I don’t know well how Discourse polls work. So I chose to reuse what we did previously. I also prefer messages with real words than a boring poll :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that a “poll” is appropriate for a vote.

1 Like

I do too. These threads are about the most positive and supportive ones we ever have, so it’d be a shame to turn them into a simple vote. (And often when people have concerns, the discussion is far more useful than a semi-anonymous “no” in a poll.)

6 Likes

Because I’m at least lazy and don’t want to count +1/-1 to determine if the 2/3 positive vote threshold held. And a poll doesn’t prevent comments on that poll, so everyone’s positiveness could still be expressed without issue.

1 Like

I agree. A poll has value as a quick summary of sentiment. Comments can elaborate on your vote.

1 Like

Actually, I think it is important to know whether one voted out of personal experience (I have interacted with X and think they would be a good/bad core developer) or simply to go with the majority (I haven’t really interacted with X / see X contribute, but since everyone seems to think X is fine, then probably they’re fine).

2 Likes

Maybe we can do “+1, +0, -1” as options? Or “+1, +1 with comment, -1”? Though that means doing a little bit of addition to get the overall percentage :wink:

If we use a Discourse poll, voters who want to leave a comment would have to first vote in the poll, and then post a comment? I see a higher risk of inconsistency if a voter changes their vote, or (more surprising) leave a comment which means the opposite of their vote.

Honestly, I’m not sure that counting -1 and +1 votes is a real issue. I will count votes for you :wink: I’m waiting for the end of the vote: next Monday (Feb 18).

1 Like