Vote to promote Cheryl Sabella as a core developer

Can you please elaborate? I have at least one more candidate that I would like to promote, but later :wink:

+1 of course. I also said ‘no’ the first time I was questioned about becoming a core dev, about 6 months before being drafted to work on IDLE.

2 Likes

Can you please elaborate?

@vstinner, obviously the whole process of how we decide to give “commit-bit” privileges to people is an extremely important one as the role of Python core developer has traditionally come with a lot of assumptions about responsibilities, duties, and authorities. We’ve had a lot of informal discussions about the role over the years so it seems to me to be potentially a natural and important topic for the steering committee

+1, I appreciate her work

I agree but I created a new thread to discuss that :slight_smile: Formalize the process to promote a contributor as a core developer

2 Likes

+1 to bringing Cheryl in.

+1 from me as well. I took a quick look at the commits and I appreciate the focus on the TDD + it’s a name I’ve seen popping up on the bug tracker for a while now, denoting passion/involvement.

1 Like

+1 for sure.

+1 too, seen Cheryl many times on b.p.o, PRs, and the doc, I only have positive feedback in mind so an obvious +1 for me too :smile:

+1 from me.

Any reason this wasn’t done as a poll for easier tracking of the results?

5 posts were split to a new topic: How to collect votes for proposed new core devs?

+1. Work with her on some issues, definitely qulified.

+1 for Cheryl from me too.

Agreed, I don’t think the current process (ask for votes and comments on the list/Discourse) has caused us any problems so far, so why fix what isn’t broken?

1 Like

+1 from me as well - after noticing her contributions last year, I actually asked Cheryl if anyone was already helping her navigate the path towards become a core developer in her own right (and Victor and Terry had already taken that on by the time I asked).

2 Likes

FYI I moved the discussion about how to collect votes to a separate topic but I left Paul’s comment here as it included his vote for Cheryl.

Result of the vote: 21 “+1”, 0 “-1”.

List of +1 votes:

1. Andrew Svetlov
  2. Antoine Pitrou
  3. Berker Peksag
  4. Brett Cannon
  5. Carol Willing
  6. Eric Snow
  7. Giampaolo Rodola
  8. Gregory P. Smith
  9. Julien Palard
  10. Mariatta
  11. Nathaniel J. Smith
  12. Ned Deily
  13. Nick Coghlan
  14. Pablo Galindo Salgado
  15. Paul Moore
  16. Senthil
  17. Steve Dower
  18. Terry Jan Reedy
  19. Tim Peters
  20. Victor Stinner (implicit +1 when I opened the vote)
  21. Xiang Zhang
  22. Yury Selivanov
  23. Zachary Ware

According to the new PEP 13, the vote is now waiting for the veto or no veto of the Steering Committee. https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0013/#membership

1 Like

It seems excellent work. Thanks and +1 to her.

The Steering Council accepts the vote to promote Cheryl Sabella as a core developer. Congratulations Cheryl!

12 Likes

I simply cannot thank everyone enough. From my first :tada: from Mariatta up through my nomination and promotion to core dev, this has been an incredibly welcoming community. My experience here has been much more than just about Python and that’s what has impressed me the most. You are all amazing people and I’m grateful to be part of this.

And I would be remiss not to thank Guido for creating this community. CPython was the first open source project that I contributed to and I really hit the jackpot to find a nurturing group instead of a toxic one. I know that came from the top down, so thank you.

17 Likes

This warms my heart to hear. :smile:

4 Likes