How to get a PR reviewer?

Hey there.

A while ago I made a very simple PR which would allow using the os module’s XATTR function under Cygwin (merely by setting a necessary build flag).

However, so far it hasn’t been possible to get reviewed by some Python (core) developer.

Is there any way to get that done? Or find the right one who is experienced with os and/or Cygwin (though I don’t think either would be really necessary)?

Thanks,
Philippe.

Hi @philcerf.

Thank you @Jelle for reviewing the PR.

Philippe, thank you for the PR, your patience with it, and for bringing it to our attention.

As an FYI to others who may be reading this post, the devguide mentions reviews and asking for someone to take a look at an open PR: Lifecycle of a pull request

1 Like

Hello,
Unfortunately, getting reviewers is a bottleneck – especially for an unsupported platform, where we don’t have interested reviewers almost by definition.
It’s not got that we have the bottleneck exists. Work to do something about it is ongoing, but it’s probably not going away soon. If you find a way to work around it, you’ll be happier.

If you want to continue working on Cygwin support, I’d suggest setting up a separate “CPython on Cygwin” project to coordinate patches/issues/docs without needing formal review.
That seems like the best way to get Cygwin as a supported platform.

Note that even core devs set up less structured projects for rapid iteration, e.g. faster-cpython, capi-workgroup, or the historical asyncio.
Also note that iOS support spent a long time as an external project before being proposed in PEP-730.

2 Likes

Hey everyone.

Thanks for getting the process started :slight_smile:

Setting up a separated project seems a bit overkill for me. I’m by far no experienced Python or Cygwin developer - I merely wanted to get XATTRs working there, and that achievable by two rather simple changes on both sides.

Apart from that, many(most?) things probably seem to just-work™ on Cygwin, which I guess is no big surprise as it tries to mimic a POSIX environment.
So I’d guess that only special stuff like that may cause problems for Python on Cygwin. Luckily here it was only some defines missing.

Thanks,
Philippe.

You don’t need to be an experienced Python or Cygwin developer. Quite the opposite: that is how you’d become an experienced Python or Cygwin developer, if you choose to spend your time that way.

But a one-off contribution is welcome as well. Should a Cygwin hero appear, their path will be easier.

3 Likes