Is it possible to detect the thread an event loop is running in?

Hi.

I’m hoping this is the right forum for this… :grimacing:

We recently hit a curious issue with Channels/Daphne & Django 3.0’s async_unsafe() checks, and a multi-threaded context, such as running under the Django auto-reloader. (Original Issue)

The long and short of it was that Daphe (which uses Twisted) was instantiating Twisted’s asyncioreactor in the main thread with a (default) asyncio.get_event_loop(). The Django auto-reloader was then running this in a second thread. In the main thread the auto-reloader was terminating the process, causing a call to close all database connections.

This last is protected by Django 3.0’s async_unsafe() decorator, which calls asyncio.get_event_loop(), which being the main thread returns same default event loop that Twisted was using in the second thread. Because that event loop was running, async_unsafe() raised, which isn’t strictly correct in this circumstance, but… (read on).

We were able to work around this bug by giving Twisted it’s own event loop, but it seems likely that this kind of situation will come up in the future. (Someone, somewhere will pass event loops around, and trick async_unsafe() into a false positive.)

So… the ideal solution is to have async_unsafe() be able to say to the event loop, not only “are you running?” but, “are you running in this thread?” (i.e. is this check happening in a task that you are running, however nestedly?)

Is that possible/feasible?

I suspect I haven’t provided enough context:

• async_unsafe() is meant to decorate blocking calls so you don’t call then inside a coroutine.
  • It’s not long. Source is at django/utils/asyncio.py (Sorry, the editor will only let me put in two links…)

The essence is this:

# Detect a running event loop in this thread.
                try:
                    event_loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()
                except RuntimeError:
                    pass
                else:
                    if event_loop.is_running():
                        raise SynchronousOnlyOperation(message)

But in the situation that we hit, the “in this thread” wasn’t true.

There’s a minimal reproduce (of ≈50 lines) here.

Please let me know if I can provide more context.

Thanks.

Hmm, this might not be an ideal solution, but there is an internal _thread_id attribute that the event loop object has, which can be used to identify which thread it’s associated with. In theory, this should consistently work with the default asyncio event loop, BaseEventLoop, but it might not work or even exist as an attribute in other event loop implementations.

For the conditional to check if an event loop is both associated with the current thread and is running, you could potentially do something like this:

if loop._thread_id == threading.current_thread().ident and loop.is_running(): 

Note: Since it’s part of the internal API, the behavior is not guaranteed. But, there might be a decent argument for adding a public means of accessing this attribute. What do you think @yselivanov and @asvetlov?

It sounds very suspicious. Do you have a loop instance that is installed as default in two different threads? If yes – this is a programming error and asyncio design violation.

The way that I interpreted this part was that the OP was referring to “default” in the context of two separate event loop instances (one for asyncio and one for twisted) both being an instance of the default implementation, BaseEventLoop, not a single loop instance being installed as a default in two separate threads.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like they were at first using the same event loop instance, and then changed to using two as a workaround:

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I’m not exactly sure I grok the technical implications of the phrase “installed as default” but the exact flow was:

1. Call get_event_loop() in main thread.
  2. Pass that to an object which runs it in a second thread.
  3. Call get_event_loop() again in main thread. (Get same loop)
  4. Django’s async_unsafe() thinks "event loop is running in this (i.e. main) thread and raises.

The event loop itself is only being used in a single thread, so is there really an issue? (If so, is there some way asyncio could say “Don’t do this”? I’ve not seen a warning against such in the docs.)

For our immediate case, I think this check might be sufficient:

loop._thread_id == threading.current_thread().ident

I shall raise it with Andrew Godwin to discuss. Thanks!

Any other “you’re holding it wrong” pointers very welcome!

Thanks again.

Technically, you can create a loop in one thread and run it in another.
asyncio doesn’t forbid it strictly but discourages.
I don’t know how many code will be broken we raise this restriction (but pretty sure some people did weird things already).
Maybe we can start with raising a warning though.

The reality is: passing a loop instance between threads brings you to the land where dragons live. It is dangerous but you might survive.

1 Like

My concern with using loop._thread_id for Django’s async_unsafe() (which I presume is or will potentially be used in a large number of places) is that it will be relying on an internal attribute, meaning it could be changed or broken at any point in time without any guarantees. Also, it’s highly specific to BaseEventLoop, if a user or another library substitutes their own event loop that lacks a loop._thread_id, it won’t work.

If there is a legitimate use case for accessing loop._thread_id, which it seems like there might be based on this topic, we could consider implementing a public @property to access it through, such as loop.thread_id; or a public getter method, such as loop.get_thread_id().

I’m curious as to how this warning would be best implemented though. IIRC, the only thread that’s actually tracked in the loop is the one that it’s ran in (in loop.run_forever()), which is when loop._thread_id is assigned. We’d likely need a separate attribute that’s set in new_event_loop() that tracks what thread the loop was created in.

Exactly as you proposed.
We can assign self._creator_thread_id (select the name) to the current thread on the loop creation (in BaseEventLoop.__init__).
run_forever can compare the actual thread id with stored on the creation stage and raise a warning if they don’t match.

I think you might want get_running_loop (might not be the exact spelling). That lets you fetch the loop that the current code is running under (if any), which as you’ve discovered is not quite the same as what get_default_loop gives you.

3 Likes

Do note though that get_running_loop() only works within a coroutine, and that it raises a RuntimeError when there isn’t one running. For fetching the event loop outside of a coroutine (or creating new one if there isn’t one in the main thread), you can use get_event_loop().

1 Like

Sounds good, I can open a bpo issue later today to discuss it further (if this is something we want to consider implementing).

Just to clarify, our need was/is exactly for the thread the loop is running in, regardless of where it was created.

The above was in reference to @asvetlov’s idea for raising a warning when an event loop is ran in a separate thread from where it was created. From my understanding, this was just to serve as an advisory warning to caution users about creating a loop in one thread and running it in another, since using the same loop across different threads isn’t particularly safe.

For the purposes of determining which thread a loop is running from, I was suggesting a public property or getter for loop._thread_id (which only tracks what thread the loop is running in).

Also, I just remembered that threading.get_ident() is a more common and probably more readable version of threading.current_thread().ident, so I’d recommend using that instead.

1 Like

My question: how is loop.get_thread_id() widespread?
I think if Daphne creates a loop and controls its lifetime it also can know what loop belongs to what thread.

Adding a new API always means a maintenance cost, even if the cost is low. Also, the loop class can be provided by third-party libraries, adding a method to the loop means that all third-parties should implement it as well.

Don’t get me wrong: the new method is possible but I’d like to see strong motivation why is it necessary. “Nice to have” motivation is not enough for this case, sorry.

1 Like

I agree. That’s primarily why I worded it as “there might be a decent argument for adding a public means of accessing this attribute…”, to prompt the discussion around the practical use cases for a loop.get_thread_id() rather than making a formal proposal myself. I figured that someone might have a realistic need for it based on the post, but I personally don’t.

Also, regarding the bpo issue for the warning we discussed earlier: I’ve recently been a bit additionally occupied with some job opportunities, so my time has been more limited than usual. I still plan on opening one though in the near future. I would be glad to help implement the warning, assuming we’re all in agreement and there’s no rush to add it.

@aeros take your time.
The Python 3.9 feature freeze is at 2020-05-18.

Hi all. Thanks for the interesting replies. I leave it to your judgement whether new API is warranted.

• I will try get_running_loop(). Given Kyle’s comment, I’m not sure if it’ll solve the need. I need to test it, and it’s 3.7+ but maybe.
  • I think the task that async_unsafe() is trying to achieve is a reasonable use-case. (Catch cases were you really should have used a ThreadPoolExecutor, or a different API inside a coroutine.)
  • The Daphne case, where this came up, is a distraction: the issue isn’t Daphne specific…
    • Yes, now we’re creating a new event loop we can make sure we control what thread it’s used on, but…
    • We were just naively calling get_event_loop() in the natural place, and found this com up. I suspect other folks will do the same. We’ve seen the same issue pop up with Django 3.0 and Jupyter. If you call get_event_loop() before threading you’re going to hit this kind of issue… — maybe users should handle it better, but it’s a question of how to know to do that, other than by experience?

Thanks again for the discussion: really very helpful.

Happy New Year!

Looking at async_unsafe sources I can say that get_running_loop() is exactly what are you looking for.
It exists starting from Python 3.7, agree – but any new API can be added into Python 3.9 only which is much worse for your case.
Regarding get_event_loop() functionality: @yselivanov expressed an idea of deprecation the function.
The proposal was too early for Python 3.8 but I support the deprecation for upcoming Pythons and even for 3.9 maybe.