Is there a recent Mac install issue?

In the last few days, three people have mailed webmaster@python.org (which is explicitly not a “support channel”, but whatever…) saying they can’t install on a Mac. Nobody’s provided details - all three sent a screenshot of the utterly useless Mac installer screen that says “The installer encountered an error”, with no details at all. Not able to tell if this is unique to the new batch of releases that just dropped, because, again, no details; however the timing seems curious. I don’t see any recent issues on Github on this except the closed The installation failed · Issue #100024 · python/cpython · GitHub, which seems an unlikely, though not impossible, match.

I just install these 3 packages without issue.

python-3.10.10-macos11.pkg
python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg
python-3.12.0a5-macos11.pkg

I used an M2 Macbook Pro running macOS Ventura 13.1

I would point further reporters to that thread, in particular, the advice to look at the installer log. For what it’s worth, every Python.org macOS installer gets install tested on at least two different macOS releases and on both Apple Silicon and Intel Macs before being published. If there are ongoing problems with installations, we want to know about them!

We try to redirect people to places that might be more useful (webmaster has an autoresponder for that, we probably need to update it again). The one person that offered up details was on Ventura 13.1/Intel and using the 3.11.2 installer. Will mention something about looking at the install log if there’s any further problems, sometimes burps of a given problem are just coincidence and not a pattern (as we all know).

1 Like

Hello. I have experience similar problems attempting to install 3.10.10 and 3.11.2

The errors in the Installer log file for 3.11.2 is

Mar 15 15:34:43 tonatiuh installd[847]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Mar 15 15:34:43 tonatiuh installd[847]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg”." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while extracting files from the package “python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg”., NSURL=file:///Users/siliceo/Downloads/SoftwareUpdates/Python/python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg#Python_Framework.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.python.Python.PythonFramework-3.11, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f86fbc29050 {Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 "archive open failed" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/siliceo/Downloads/SoftwareUpdates/Python/python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg, NSFileOwnerAccountID=501, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=174279019, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777220, NSFileSize=42835777, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=20, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=siliceo, NSFilePosixPermissions=432, NSFileCreationDate=2023-03-15 19:32:25 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileProtectionKey=NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=staff, NSFileReferenceCount=1, NSFileModificationDate=2023-03-15 19:32:26 +0000, NSLocalizedDescription=archive open failed}}} {
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cpython-3.11.2-macos11.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file:///Users/siliceo/Downloads/SoftwareUpdates/Python/python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg#Python_Framework.pkg";
	    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 \"archive open failed\" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/siliceo/Downloads/SoftwareUpdates/Python/python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg, NSFileOwnerAccountID=501, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=174279019, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777220, NSFileSize=42835777, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=20, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=siliceo, NSFilePosixPermissions=432, NSFileCreationDate=2023-03-15 19:32:25 +
Mar 15 15:34:44 tonatiuh Installer[31376]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Mar 15 15:34:44 tonatiuh Installer[31376]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Mar 15 15:34:44 tonatiuh Installer[31376]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Let me know if I can supply further information.

Sorry, forgot some important details: Mac is a MacBook Pro running macOS Ventura 13.2

@siliceo It works for me and apparently most other users. If you search the web for that error code (Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101), you’ll find other references to it in conjunction with installer downloads (.pkg) for other products. The consensus seems to be that the cause is generally due to the installer pkg file being corrupted during download. Try deleting the downloaded .pkg file (~/Downloads/SoftwareUpdates/Python/python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg) and download it again from the python.org website. And, unfortunately, that very obscure error message comes from the macOS Installer.app, not something we have any control over; it would be nice if Apple provided a more helpful message in such cases.

@siliceo P.S. Sorry, I should have thought to suggest this originally. If you have not already deleted the original download, you could verify that it is indeed corrupted if you are comfortable using a Terminal window shell. Try something like:

cd ~/Downloads/SoftwareUpdates/Python
md5 python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg
     MD5 (python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg) = e038c3d5cee8c5210735a764d3f36f5a
# compares with the md5 checksum published on the release page
#   https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3112/

Ned, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I checked the MD5 and it was correct for the pkg file. However, as you indicated, the problem seem to be with the macOS package installer rather than the package itself. I include the following work-around in case it may be of use to somebody else.

PROCEDURE (use at your own risk)

An alternative way to using the macOS GUI Installer, issue the following command using Terminal

• Open Terminal

• Change your working directory to the location of the Python pkg file
    (e.g., cd $HOME/downloads)

• Issue a command similar to
    sudo installer -verbose -pkg ./python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg -target /
    NOTE: replace python-3.11.2-macos11.pkg with the file you downloaded

Sample partial output from the command above:

installer: Package name is Python
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: Preparing for installation….....
installer: Preparing the disk….....
installer: Preparing Python….....
installer: Waiting for other installations to complete….....
installer: Configuring the installation….....
installer:

BOTTOM

installer: Running package scripts….....
installer: Validating packages….....
#
installer:      Running installer actions…
installer:
installer: Finishing the Installation….....
installer:
#
installer: The software was successfully installed......
installer: The upgrade was successful.
1 Like

Thank you Omar, it worked for me!!

I’m having the exact same problem on a brand new mac mini M2 16gb. “The installer encountered an error”. Says contact the maker which is Python. Never had that issue ever before. tried the version before and same issue. I also deleted the download and tried again several times. Does mac do this on purpose?

I just tried this as well and got a message. installer: Error - the package path specified was invalid. I copied and pasted your text so it’s not as you say. Thanks

@Lisadgold you can’t just paste (that was just one person’s specific example), need to find the actual path to the installer file and use that…

I’m glad that installing via the command line works for those of you experiencing this issue but it still is not at all obvious why one should work and not the other and why only some of you are seeing it. For those of you have experienced it, can you say exactly how you obtained the installer file, i.e. did you download it through a browser and if so which browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox?) and did you have to double-click on the downloaded file or did the browser launch the installation automatically?

We’ve seen about a half-dozen more of these complaints mailed to the webmaster alias, all without details (usually including the useless screenshot that says “encountered an error”, also without details). Something seems to be askew, but can’t contribute any further useful details at the moment.

• Seems the problem is not related to Python, but happens with all pkg files.
  • Seems it can happen when the pkg file is located in Dropbox.
  • Seems it can happen when the pkg file is located in the Downloads or Desktop folders, depending on some Security / Privacy settings.

In that macrumours thread this seems worth trying:

SOLVED here… go to System Settings/Privacy & Security/Full Disk Access and check Installer app.

Read this particular reply if not sure how to do this: Install with Pkg file failed | MacRumors Forums

On my laptop Installer.app does not have Full Disk Access, but can install. But… Installer.app does have access to the Downloads folder and when I disable that the installer fails when trying to install python (with the pkg file in the Downloads folder), reenabling access to the Downloads folder also fixes the installation issue.

Aha, that makes sense. IIRC, the first time an app, like the Instsller.app, tries to access special folders like Downloads a pop up appears to ask for access. If you click no or perhaps hit return, access is denied and you are not asked again on subsequent access attempts unless you alter settings. Can we find a way to document that or, better, avoid it?

Lisa,

Interesting since it has worked for other people.

Things to keep in mind, hopefully they will help you being able to update python. (I know that you probably already checked them, but I must ask just to be sure)

Have you verified that the file you downloaded matches the MD5 signature with that indicated on the python download page?

I am assuming that you are using Terminal (but it also applies to iTerm and similar programs), so … have you check that the program you are using to enter the commands have full access to the Mac disk?

Best of luck.