[META] Should we add sub-categories for this space?

I am, but I asked …

… and I have not seen any other admins speak up.

I’ve sent a message to the “admins” group here on discuss.python.org, to request their inputs.

I’m also realising as I type this that I could have mentioned them directly here but… too late for that.

1 Like

@admins A gentle nudge here. This is currently blocked on feedback from at least the one more admin.

1 Like

Kind ping @ambv @pablogsal @EWDurbin

Sorry for the late reply, this caught me traveling + end of year holidays.

I added the 4 suggested sub-categories. I agree “General” is just the category, and “Help” should go to “Python Help”.

Now, what should be the description of “User Feedback”? I copied the other descriptions for now from Pradyun’s original post but the “User Feedback” one doesn’t say what it is supposed to be. This is supposed to be a short explanation for the user if they should or should not post there. So I’m especially interested in the difference between User Feedback and Help.

2 Likes

Thank you for doing this!

Here’s a description based on what my mental model is:

This is for user feedback about the packaging tooling such as information from a UX review, user surveys and feedback about specific user workflows.

1 Like

It looks like I can reclassify the topics in this category so… I’ve gone ahead[1] and spent ~15 minutes doing just that – this covered all topics that have been updated since Oct '23, which I reckon is good-enough to get a sense of how well this works.

A few of lessons learnt from this:

• Standards is a fairly clean subcategory.
  • Announcements is a fairly clean subcategory.
  • Coordination has fewer topics that I’d expected. That’s understandable though since we’ve usually tackled that in a intertwined-with-something-else manner – I’m hoping it’ll serve as a place to do something we’ve not done well, ALA coordinating things like pyproject.toml’s rollout. The upcoming work related to freethreading Python might benefit from a topic there.
  • User feedback is probably not as useful as I thought it’d be, and I’d be OK with it if the admins/moderators decide that it’s not worth having. :slight_smile:
  • We’ve had quite a few “review request” topics, most of which are for packaging.python.org or pip. Definitely doesn’t deserve its own category, but likely reflects the reality that those projects are low on reviewer capacity and have more active contributors looking for reviews.
  • There’s a few help-me topics that haven’t been moved to the help category – I’ll move those after dinner.

1. Very much leaning into It’s easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission, especially since it’s possible to undo this in cases where someone doesn’t agree. ↩︎

6 Likes