PEP 541: owner deleted repo after agreeing to transfer it to me, now I can't claim it

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but I’m not sure where else to ask. A little over two months ago I emailed the owner of the pyanimate package if I could take over that package name, as they had already renamed their project to something else over five years ago. The owner promptly replied, and kindly agreed, and they deleted their package, instead of transferring it to me (assuming that once they did that, I would be free to upload my package). I didn’t realize this would be a problem until I tried uploading my package and got the error message “The name ‘pyanimate’ is too similar to an existing project”. I filed a support request about two months ago (PEP 541 Request: pyanimate · Issue #3327 · pypi/support · GitHub) but haven’t gotten a response.

Does this seem like a reasonable scenario in which I could successfully take ownership over that package name? I know that PEP 541 support requests are volunteer driven, is there anything else I can do to make their lives easier and the request processed faster?

1 Like

Yes, as soon as someone with the ability to do the transfer is able to look at it.

You can get involved in PyPI, but note that it will be a long journey before you could potentially process such requests, as this requires a very high level of trust. See Is PEP 541 still the correct solution? for the last discussion of this issue, and this post in particular.

1 Like