Where are the settings?

I just used the Preferences thing, and now I can’t even find where it is.

In the top right corner, you will find your photo: if you click there is a little cog that will show your preferences:

Ah thanks that’s what I was looking for.

Replying here because I can’t work out how to create a new topic :slight_smile:

How do I create a new topic?

Also, how do I browse within a particular list? I seem to have drifted here (“Discourse Feedback”) from “Committers”, and I don’t know how that happened. I’d sort of like to focus at any one time on a single list/group/forum (what do I call it?) because the audiences are often very different…

You hit the “New Topic” button at the top of the home page or at the top of every category in the top right hand side. It’s not on a discussion page, presumably to prevent people from making the old common forum mistake of hitting New Topic instead of Reply.

They’re called categories in Discourse parlance.

When you’re on the home page, you have a list of categories and you can click on that category to visit only that category. If you’re already in a category, you can click the name of the category in the top left, and a drop down will appear to let you change to a different category.

1 Like

Thanks, I found that later (but remained surprised that I couldn’t do it from an existing discussion).

So “splitting this off into a new thread” is going to be messy, I guess… (Particularly if I want to quote part of the old thread).

Huh, apparently there is a nice UI for this, but it’s a bit hidden, I assume to avoid people hitting it accidentally or confusing newcomers.

Underneath each post there’s a little chain icon (next to the heart), which lets you share a post on twitter/facebook/etc. If you click it, then one of the options it offers is to “share” the post as a new topic, which pops up an edit window that has some extra chrome to let you fill in the new subject and category, and pre-fills the message body with:

“Continuing the discussion from [link]…”

Kind of a weird place to put it, but I guess once you know about it then it works ok…

If you’re keyboard inclined you can also hit c to do so from anywhere.

Aye. Fortunately you can also click the ‘Reply Arrow’ after quoting someone to opt to create a new linked topic:

Thanks @Supermathie. I’m keeping a running list of Q&As in this post

1 Like