I ran into a problem when installing a third-party library (pyzmail) in python - use_2to3 is invalid.

I ran into a problem when installing a third-party library (pyzmail) in python - use_2to3 is invalid.
The solution I got through the search engine was to roll back the setuptools version number to before 58.0.0.
But I went back and tried several versions of setuptools before 58.0.0, such as 57.0.0 or 56.0.0, and still got an error – use_2to3 is invalid.

What do I need to do to resolve this issue and install the third-party library successfully?

Given that pyzmail is almost 10 years old and seems (to my eyes) to be at the very least, dormant, if not abandoned, I would be looking for an alternative, if I were you. It was written way back the the days of Python v3.2 and there have been many, many changes to Python since then. I’m not saying that “old software is bad software”; I have many apps that are as old as that, but given that this particular library is email centric, I would err on the side of caution and use something that is being maintained.

1 Like

I am learning python from a physical book, and some of the modules described in the book have a long history, so that some of the functions in the book are no longer supported by the latest version of the module. However, this is the first time that I have encountered a situation where even the module cannot be used, I think it is because of the reasons you mentioned. Next, I will try to find the latest library that can operate email. Thank you very much for your advice.

1 Like

Hi, do you also read automate_the_boring_stuff_2 and have problems installing pyzmail? I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?