PEP 693: Missing future Python 3.12 release dates

Hello,

today I noticed that future Python 3.12 release dates are not listed in PEP 693 (and also not in PEP 719 for 3.13) as it used to be in the past for PEPs for 3.5 to 3.11.

Instead of exact dates when to expect the next releases there is only a general sentence Subsequent bugfix releases every two months.

I am asking for this because in Fedora we are using this small project to parse PEPs and generate an ical file so we get notifications about upcoming releases.

Would you be up for bringing it back? I’m happy to provide a PR.
Thank you.

In the past it used to look like this:

Bugfix releases

Actual:

• 3.11.1: Tuesday, 2022-12-06
  • 3.11.2: Wednesday, 2023-02-08
  • 3.11.3: Wednesday, 2023-04-05
  • 3.11.4: Tuesday, 2023-06-06
  • 3.11.5: Thursday, 2023-08-24
  • 3.11.6: Monday, 2023-10-02

Expected:

• 3.11.7: Monday, 2023-12-04
  • 3.11.8: Monday, 2024-02-05

Final regular bugfix release with binary installers:

• 3.11.9: Monday, 2024-04-01

cc @thomas

2 Likes

How sensitive are you to reschedules? Because our schedule is very flexible, and any dates we put down are always subject to change (either pushed back, often at the very last minute, or brought forward without much warning).

If you can handle the releases not actually being on the scheduled days, then we can invent some likely dates for you. But equally, you could invent your own likely dates and handle the fact that we don’t know the exact date until it happens.

If your tooling/processes can’t really handle reschedules, you’re going to be in trouble regardless, and we probably need to discuss what you’re actually trying to achieve, rather than discuss how to accurately predict our schedule.

2 Likes

The script is triggered nightly by GitHub Action and auto commits any changes directly into the repository. Google Calendar picks up the change in iCal file and adds, removes or edits the event as necessary. So reschedules are not a problem, we are used to them.

Google Calendar then sends me an email on a day when new version should be released. It doesn’t really matter if the actual release date is a couple of days later. I am aware of it and I am checking cpython repo if new version has been already tagged and released. In Fedora we are trying to ship the updates as soon as they are released.

I could come up with my own dates, but I wanted to ask first as it felt better to use the dates coming from the “authority” rather some random guessing.

1 Like

LOL, this looks like a canonical example of Hyrum’s law :slight_smile:

Why don’t you simply set the release tag here on Discourse to Watching with the image ? Then you will receive an email notification for each post with that tag. Ok, there might be some noise. The tag could be restricted to the Committers category so that it can only be used by those who are able to post there, which should ensure it stays used just for CPython releases. Or there could be a separate cpython-release-announcement tag.

1 Like

Oh, but it’s not just about the notification.[1]

It actually helps to see the approaching planned release on my calendar. That way I know a release is going to happen next week/this month/etc. and I don’t have to check it every time I need to make a decision (e.g. do I backport this fix, or wait). Having the planned releases there has been a significant productivity boost for me, despite the releases rarely happening exactly on that date.

1. As a side note, Watching the release tag here on Discourse won’t differentiate the notification from the dozens of other emails in my discuss.python.org email folder. ↩︎

2 Likes

What I don’t understand (and I think the others think the same way) is: if you don’t need an accurate date and you are checking the repo anyway, then why is this email useful to you?

Or else: if the idea is just the have a reminder of the general fact that bugfixes are expected approximately every two months (so that you can do a little bit of planning), then why bother to parse the PEP pages? You could just set an “every 2 months” reminder in your calendar program (e.g., first day of the month, every other month). After all, the 3.11 dates were not far off from that except for 3.11.5, and certainly none of them were early.

For your convenience (only, I suspect), I’ve added some random release dates to the PEP 693 schedule.

3 Likes