PyCon US 2022 -- Do we want to conduct a Packaging Summit?

This is basically the 2022 version of: PyCon US 2020 - do we want conduct a Hatchery event for Python Packaging?

I’ve been asking around and it seems like it would be feasible to conduct a Packaging summit at PyCon US 2022 (dates: [1]), at least from the PyCon side of things.

So… Here’s a public poll to figure out whether there’s enough interest in such a summit. :slight_smile:

Would you interested and likely able to attend the summit?
  • Interested, in-person.
  • Interested, remote.
  • Interested, don’t know availability.
  • Interested, unlikely to attend.
  • Not interested.

0 voters

Poll closes at 2021-12-17T00:00:00.000Z (i.e. ~7 days), multiple choice, users associated with votes visible.[2]

There’s quite a few open questions to figure out – like: When should we do this, pre-conference, during the sprints, during the main conference? Is trying a hybrid event a really bad idea? Should it be a half-day or a full-day event? – but let’s get to those once it’s clear that there’s enough interest.

Also… quite importantly, if you’re interested in helping organizing such a summit, this thread would be a good place to say that. This is unlikely to happen unless we have a bunch of folks to put it together. :slight_smile:

• April 27, 2022 (pre-conference)
    • April 28, 2022 (pre-conference)
    • April 29, 2022 (main conference)
    • April 30, 2022 (main conference)
    • May 1, 2022 (main conference + job fair)
    • May 2, 2022 (sprints)
    • May 3, 2022 (sprints)
    ↩︎
  1. We can all see your votes, don’t pick a stupid combination please. ↩︎

3 Likes

I can help organize if you want.

3 Likes

For those of us with some general experience organizing things, but who haven’t put together something like this before, could you share the general tasks that would be needed in terms of organizing this? That might also help people commit to helping with something specific, as opposed to expressing general interest or feeling like they aren’t sure what is being asked. For my part, whatever that’s worth, I’m a small fish in the pond but I would certainly be willing to help with specific tasks. Thanks!

I’d think with all the current evolution leaving (as far as I can tell) almost everyone who isn’t actively involved confused to some extent it would be great to have a place to get people together to help understand. Whether such a session (“informative”) is actually what you’re envisioning is a question, though.

I don’t think it’s particularly beneficial to treat the summit as a user-education space — that work can (and does) happen outside of the summit, similar to how Python’s user education work happens outside of the Python language summit.

Nope, quite the opposite.

From the 2020 page here: PyCon US

The goal of this summit is to try to take advantage of the fact that, at PyCon, we can get a high concentration of these stakeholders in one room at the same time. This allows us to sync up on current and future best practices, and to quickly come to some agreements that would take months or years, over the high-latency medium of discussions on mailing lists / forums / issue tickets.

I missed this message until now. I’m interested and available for remote or in-person.

2 Likes

@pradyunsg do you have any update on this? It seems like there definitely is interest.
Is there anything I can do to help move this forward?

Here’s my take on the questions.

When should we do this, pre-conference, during the sprints, during the main conference?

I would prefer it to be 1 or 1/2 days at the start of the sprints, but before the conference also works, probably better to be the day before to not conflict with the Language Summit. I don’t think organizing it during the conference would make much sense.

Is trying a hybrid event a really bad idea?

I think the best option is to organize it remote, but with a room at the conference for the people who are attending in person.

Should it be a half-day or a full-day event?

I think this depends on the interest and how many people want to present.

2 Likes

I’ve had a discussion with the PyCon organisers who are keen to host this event as part of the conference.

@bernatgabor and @CAM-Gerlach have also expressed interest in helping organise this, so I’ll reach out to both of you, via some other more synchronous medium. If anyone else is interested in helping organise this, please let me know!

2 Likes

To help, should I go in-person? If not, let me see if I can do it :slight_smile:

For anyone who might have missed it, the summit is happening and topic submissions are open!