Seeking Insights into Community Aspect: Short Interview on Python 2 to 3 Transition

Hello Pythonistas! :snake:

I’m currently working on a paper titled “A ‘live event’ of a major FOSS community — Python 2 transitioning to version 3”. The paper explores the transition from Python 2 to 3, focusing particularly on the community management aspect.

As part of my research, I’m looking to include one or two brief case studies or quotes from community leaders, contributors, or any members who have experienced the transition firsthand. Your insights will help shed light on the challenges and successes of the Python 2 to 3 transition from a community perspective.

I’m seeking volunteers for a short interview, about 10 minutes, to discuss:

• Your personal experience with the transition.
  • The community’s response and how it was managed.
  • Any challenges or successes you’d like to highlight.

The interview can be done via text chat as well of course. I’d appreciate any help. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re willing to share your story or know someone who might be, please reply to this post or DM me directly. Your contribution will be immensely valuable and, of course, credited in the paper.

Thank you for considering this request, and I look forward to some enlightening conversations!

Best regards,
Aleksandar

Hi - Good luck! This transition happened some 15 years ago, many Pythonistas may still have been in diapers when this started :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi!
I drove this transition in Fedora, as part of my job at Red Hat. I certainly learned a lot about respectfully persuading volunteer-led projects.
Happy to talk; my condition is that either the paper or the interview recording will be publicly available. But I don’t have much time to prepare my answers in advance, so maybe plan for more than 10 minutes.

I’m on European time, feel free to DM with some time slots that would work for you.

1 Like