Steering Council office hours

As part of our efforts to be more easily approachable, the Steering Council has decided to try out weekly office hours. We’re starting with a bookable half hour video call right before our regular weekly meeting, but we can expand and move that around in the future. Currently it’s 30 minutes on Monday, 17:00 GMT (19:00 CET, 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific, 22:30 IST, 02:00 JST, 03:00 AEST).

The intent is for these slots to be used by Core Devs, PEP authors and anyone else contributing to Python to discuss things they want to discuss with the Steering Council, when email or a GitHub ticket is for whatever reason not as desirable. Group appointments are of course also fine, although scheduling those separately might be easier.

Scheduling is done through a Google Calendar. When booking a slot, please make sure to do so at least 3 days in advance, and if possible include the topic in the appointment so we can be prepared. For longer chats, different schedules (we realise the current time isn’t always good for everyone), or pressing matters, contact us directly; we can always arrange something else.

For the SC,
Thomas.

17 Likes

Thanks SC for doing this. It’s always challenging to dedicate more volunteer time to SC duties on top of your fulltime jobs so I’m thankful that y’all are taking the effort to be easily approachable.

6 Likes

It’s the time of year when all the time zones get out of sync!
According to the scheduling calendar, the office hours switched to daylight savings time, following most of Europe.

I assume the calendar is authoritative?

Yes, it is.

2 Likes

(Switched off of Daylight Saving Time, to standard time—personally, as an American I find the European convention of “summer time”/“winter time” to be simpler and less confusing for most people than the more formal nomenclature widely (mis-)used in North America)

We’ve moved the weekly SC meeting, so we’re also moving the office hours appointment slot. Since it’s not been used much we’ve decided to schedule it as part of the meeting instead of before it, and every two weeks instead of every week for now. (We can always schedule one-off meetings as well, of course.)

The office hour is now Wednesdays, 18:30-19:00 CET, 9:30-10:00am PT. Here is the new Google calendar appointment page, but unfortunately I can’t seem to edit my original post to remove the old one.

2 Likes